Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Che giornata lunghissima...

What a long day, that is. This week is just crawling by - it's not really a bad thing, since one of the best parts of Italian life is just being, not doing anything in particular. I was just outside on the balcony with my eyes closed, listening to some music. Now, I'm watching a TV show called "La Vita in Diretta" - Direct Life, I guess, and it's about current events. They spend a lot of time talking about celebrities and movie stars and how their issues affect Italians in general. Now they're talking about cancer. So in general, it's been a slow day. Weather's pretty bad too - cloudy, and a little chilly. Today, I'll just scribble what my last couple days have been like.

I didn't go into Venice at all yesterday. Instead, I took some time to catch up on some work (we read Wesker's The Merchant, a re-visioning of Shakespeare's play) and then I was able to watch a film called Mio Fratello e' Figlio Unico (My Brother is an Only Child). It sounds like a comedy, but it's really serious - two brothers during the 60s in Italy, and one's a fascist and the other is a communist. Aaand they both love the same girl. It was surprisingly intense but I liked it, at least more than Non Pensarci (Don't think about it). The high point of yesterday was probably the amazing weather after the day of acqua alta and the sunset - which I didn't see entirely because we went to the mensa for a fantastic dinner, as usual.

Today, we had a trip scheduled for Venice for my architecture class. We went to Palazzo Grimani, near the Campo Santa Maria Formosa, which was a private residence but also contained a lot of ancient Roman artifacts. The architecture itself imitates classical styles. It was actually one of my favorite trips we've been on for the architecture class. After that, I went to the Bar al Verde with some friends for lunch before going back to San Servolo for my Islam class. I wanted gelato before going back. And I was desperate... and we were in the most touristy part of Venice, Riva degli Schiavoni, and I ended up overpaying vastly (1,30) for the worst gelato ever. It wasn't really gelato, it was more like sucky ice cream that you find in the back of the freezer at the supermarket, or maybe in the back of my fridge in Charlotte. It really put me in a bad mood. See how important these things are?

Anyway, my day got better when I got out of my last class. I took the movie I rented back to the library, and I ran into Francesca again - to remind you all, she's a Ca' Foscari University student who's studying in the Globalization program at VIU, and she (along with Stella, Elena and Giorgia) have been nice enough to let me talk to them to practice my Italian. So I chatted with her and Giorgia for a while - about our classes and the differences between Italian and American universities.

Since then, I've just been in my room. I really should've taken a nap since I was seriously nodding through all my classes today (OH - I should mention we played Taboo in my Italian class this morning) but I didn't. So that's the news. I'm planning on going out to a nice restaurant tonight. My stomach actually just growled, no kidding. I have to say that since I've been eating so much here I actually require more food during the day - and if I don't eat as much as I usually do I start to feel dizzy. Weird, huh? I have no idea how I ate so little during high school wrestling. Ahh.

Anyway, that's all for now. Having a blog is great for times like this.
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment