Ok, I'll continue the story of my last week in Italy. I have almost finished with my exams! I just took my written exam for Prof. Northrup's Islam in Africa course... wow, was it hard, but it's over, and that's all that counts. Tomorrow I have a presentation for Prof. Newbold's "One World, One Language" course. It'll be fine.
So on Saturday, remember how I wasn't feeling too good so I just stayed inside and studied for my Islam class? Well, I decided to go out with some friends on Saturday night nevertheless. We ended up going to a really small place near Rialto at the start of Strada Nova, and I took a couple slices of pizza. Everyone wanted to return to San Servolo, or I should say, most people did. But Sara, the German girl, decided it would be fun to go to Campo Santa Margherita, relax and enjoy a spritz. So Emily, Liz (both Americans) and I decided to go together. We actually saw so many friends at the campo! We sat down at the tables of I Do Draghi, one of our favorite places (it means "The Two Dragons" and is named for two dragon statues on the building opposite). But while we were there we saw Miri (from Japan) and her friend from Columbia, and we also saw Vanessa (Giorgia State) and her friend from the US. This really was a fun night to be there because there were people dancing! There was a music group at the Caffè Venice and they played salsa music, and people started to dance... so much fun to watch. We closed out the night at the fashionable Caffè Rosso.
Early on Saturday I had made tentative plans to go to Castelfranco, a small town northwest of Venice about an hour away from here by train. I'd talked with Laura Meggetto, who'd asked me a while ago if I'd wanted to go, if I was free, and I said yes because I really like seeing these smaller, normal towns, like Treviso for example. So anyway, as I was walking back from Campo Santa Margherita, this time via Rialto, we ran into Sara and Elena (different one), two Ca' Foscari students who we know from VIU. But I had to continue going to the vaporetto because the train to Castelfranco would leave Sunday morning at 7:57.
So Sunday morning I got up at 6:30, took the first vaporetto to Venice at 7:05 and walked quickly to the train station. I was practically the only one on the train -- but it was nice. Actually this train had air conditioning! So it was a nice ride. Laura was waiting for me when I arrived and we went to the parking lot, where she had parked her black Lancia (Lancia is one of the three biggest car manufacturers in Italy alongside AlfaRomeo and Fiat). It was really cool driving around in an Italian car! Of course, I didn't drive, and I probably would've been a little out of practice if I tried to anyway.
So first Laura showed me Castelfranco, her hometown. It's small, she said, and the original town was really just the castle in the middle with the old town in the middle. So we walked around the old castle, built of bricks. Don't know which century. But it was a beautiful day, and there is a little moat around the castle (I thought it was a river at first but nooo). There are really nice statues around this moat. We couldn't actually go inside castle itself, but we walked a little in the old town before returning to the car to drive about a half hour to Bassano del Grappa, which is probably more picturesque.
Bassano del Grappa is known for a couple things. First, its Grappa, the really strong Italian liquor that comes from this region. Also, the Alpini, mountain police very similar to Canadian mounties. Actually Laura said that there was a convention of all the Alpini from around the world, and Canadian mountain police actually showed up. Also, Bassano is known for its history of Partigiani, these were counter-government resistance fighters during World War II. There's a street with a line of trees along the street, and Laura said that they were dedicated to Partigiani, and sure enough... there were memorial plaques on each one. She said that these Partigiani were hanged on these trees. Yeah, brutal.
We walked up and down the hills of Bassano into the center, which is actually divided by the Fiume Brenta. There's a beautiful bridge constructed by the Alpini, the Ponte Vecchio, made mostly of maroon wood. It's really incredible. We walked across and saw all these people in old-style dress, historical re-enactors, doing scenes like washing clothes or building things, artisan stuff. The whole time they were speaking in Veneto dialect. Laura asked if I could understand what they were saying... I can't say I understood everything, but it was more clear than at the beginning when I first came to Venice. I said I wish if I had more time I'd want to learn some dialect, and Laura said no... in her opinion, it's kind of ugly. And it does have a rougher sound than Italiano. But anyway.
That was really the extent of my trip to Castelfranco and Bassano del Grappa. Oh - interesting thing, I should say that in the car, while Laura and I were talking about what kind of music we like, I mentioned that most of the groups I like are British. That didn't come as a surprise to her because she actually thought I was British at the start of the VIU program. It seems I'm kind of deficient at being American sometimes. Oh well, that can be good and that can be bad. But it's just interesting seeing how other people perceive you and your culture. We spoke a little about politics, and then how most of the songs you hear on the radio in Italy are in English, that is, they're American songs. Really, I've come to realize that we're living in the period of the American Empire. America exports so much culture, it's language, it's fashion, everything, it's economic strategy, technology, you name it. That's why English is so "valuable" - it's like Latin in the Roman Empire. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. It's really weird.
We came back to Castelfranco, where we got a panino and chatted a little about what each of us were doing this summer. The Italian summer break is actually a lot shorter than the American one... they go back to school at about the same time, but they have Ca' Foscari exams the first couple weeks of June. Isn't that awful? Ahh! I'm so close to finishing, that makes me think. Anyway, I told all about my apartment situation and my job, and she could definitely tell I'm really excited about going back to Boston. Yeah, it's been great here in Italy, it's really been all I could've asked for . But I have to say I am SO excited to get back to 24 Crosby in my favorite town in the USA!
So Sunday afternoon I got back to Venice, did a quick bit of shopping, and came home to San Servolo. I took a nap... I was sooo tired... and then I met up with Anthony at the vaporetto stop. His dad just came to Italy (after the semester, they're traveling by car in Umbria and then in Sicilia). But I met Anthony's dad, and he was so nice... actually he speaks a bit of Italian too. I think it's his first time in Italy. They had been in Milano up until Sunday afternoon so they were exploring that city, which Anthony says is his favorite now. Me... I don't know, I like Bologna a lot as a pure city, but I have to divide my allegiance between the regions of Sicily and Veneto (there's actually a fair amount of cultural competition between them, but I don't mind at all...).
So Anthony and I went to Mestre together because we were invited by Juliana and Anna for dinner at Juliana's apartment. It was easy enough to get there by autobus. The apartment was really nice, a lot of space, and a great balcony. I mean, I like my apartment back home better, but this one was very typical and I liked it. So Juliana and Anna had prepared a dinner of pasta, mozzarella, rucola, and pomodori. We basically ate and then just chatted, it was really fun. And of course afterwards we shared the gelato that Juliana picked up special for this occasion. There were six huge scoops: cioccolato, ferrero rocher, cioccomenta, amarena, tiramisu and one other I can't remember. But whatever. It was looking like it was going to rain... but it didn't! So Anthony and I came back to Venice around 11:30 or so with Anna (again, she has an apartment at San Giobbe). It was a really nice evening.
Monday, I put myself in the library early in the morning to prepare for my Islam exam. Of course I spent time procrastinating too. All my Italian friends were busy preparing their final presentations for Lorenzo's class (Lorenzo Gui, he's really young, 28 (a lot of the Italians are 24 or 25) and he teaches this course on International Management). They were all so nervous to do this presentation! So anyway, just about everyone was busy. I ate lunch in the mensa, went back to work, and then had my Italian oral exam, which went fine! Seriously, it was so easy considering how much time I speak Italian... at least, as Anthony's dad said, "I hear you two (me and Anthony) are the only ones who take it seriously." Maybe true, if we practice together... haha.
So after all this, I decided, despite having my Islam exam on Tuesday, I decided to go with both Lauras, Helene and Anthony to the evening gallery visit at the Collezione Guggenheim again. It's been happening each monday in May, and it's become quite trendy. This time there were more people than ever. The line was sooo long to get in! I should say that unfortunately Anthony didn't end up coming with us... he was literally seconds late to the vaporetto and the driver didn't turn around!!! Annoying, huh? Well, anyway, at the Guggenheim, in the sestiere of Dorsoduro in southwestern Venice, the entry fee let you have two spritz, and there was some food there also. While we were there, Laura Brandolin asked if we could speak in English for a little bit. "Ma perché?" I answered, but she said that for being in an English program, they really spoke little English. Helene said that she's really not heard me speak English at all. So I caved and started talking in English with my ridiculously "expert" American English accent. And... Laura Meggetto, who was really excited to speak English, shrunk back, a little shy, a little timid... and then I asked her something and she responded in Italian! I think the fact that we're actually in Italy makes it easier to communicate in Italian. I mean, if an Italian came to visit me in the states, we'd probably speak in English, I'd guess. It just makes more sense.
But after we saw the art exhibition (third time for me!) we walked toward the train station because both Lauras had to go home, to Treviso and Castelfranco. We walked through Campo Santa Margherita... and there was Anthony, his dad, and Tim my roommate! I loove the fact about Venice that you can walk around and see people you know without making any plans. Seriously, that is the best way for me! Anyway, we got something to eat, quickly this time, and then both Lauras left for the train station. But I stayed in Campo Santa Margherita... what usually happens is that the crowd from the Guggenheim comes there after the museum event finishes. So surely enough, all our other friends turned up. Sara from Germany, Emily, and then Vanessa and Lauren, followed by a lot of the Italians.
I can really tell how much progress I've made with Italian. Of course last night I chatted with the Italians from VIU that I know... but they were with some friends of theirs, Ca' Foscari but not VIU students. And so when my VIU friends would go off for a second, I would be left with them and I had the confidence to start chatting with these other Italians that I never knew before. I met this guy Dario last night -- he got a big kick out the Boston accent that I did, and tried it himself. So basically I feel like I've gotten to the point where I can just reach out and talk to most people... all though with people my own age, it's the easiest because I'm not as nervous.
So as I said before, I'm done with the hardest exam of all! Now I'm going into the library to prepare a quick outline for my presentation tomorrow with Professor Newbold. That's my last thing! This time tomorrow, I'm so done. Of course, there is a discussion with my Shakespeare professor about my final paper, but that's nothing. Thursday I am SO at the Lido to burn myself lobster-red!!! Yeahhh!
Ciaoooo!
Andrew
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment