Saturday, May 23, 2009

La Ultima Gita... La Laguna

On Friday was the last trip organized by VIU, around the Laguna di Venezia. Ahh... I should really be studying for my History of Islam final but instead I'm working on this blog. So anyway...

I woke up Friday around 10 and did NOT feel that good... you know, this bug. But anyway, I felt like I had to go because it was the last trip and it sounded amazing. There was a really small group: two Americans, two Germans, one Israeli, four Italians, I think that's all. But the small group afforded us a really close look at the places we went. Our tour guide, Martino, gave us a lot of information... sometimes a little too much and we just wanted to enjoy the view from the private boat (that part was pretty cool).

So first we stopped in Torcello, which was actually the first place where Venetians settled way back in the 7th century. There's still an original church there built during that time. Inside there are really elaborate mosaics in the Byzantine style, and an extremely decorated stone and gold mosaic floor. We also climbed up to the top of the campanile, the bell tower, and enjoyed the incredible view. However there was a scaffolding all around it so the view was somewhat blocked by wires and wooden planks. But we could really see the whole lagoon, including an island called the "ossaria," bone-house, where there is a mass-grave... creepy. And there are a lot of little islands where people have villas too.

We went to the more famous and turistic Burano for lunch. Some of our friends opted for Da Romano, which is known as one of the most famous restaurants in the Lago di Venezia. I chose to go to a panificio instead, and got a panino with some of the others. The houses in Burano are known for their many colors... families paint their houses the same colors. The Buranelli stay inside during the turistic time of the day, but around 6pm they come out and converse in their own separate dialetto. So during this short time at the end of the day, they manage to keep the essence of their culture alive. Also, we tried the traditional cookie of Burano, Bussola... it's like a better version of a sugar cookie in the shape of a ring.

We walked across the bridge to Mazzorbo, another island connected to Burano. There used to be a Franciscan friary here but it was torn down by Napoleon, who had had enough with Italy's religious traditions. All that remains is the campanile, and the entry hall which is now a gardener shed and a public bathroom. We continued around Mazzorbo, which is a simpler and less picturesque version of Burano, I think. Unfortunately it was SO hot! I now have "la bronzatura del muratore," which is what Italians say for "farmer's tan," although it mean's carpenter's tan.

Next place we went to was the Island of San Francesco del Deserto. This is the home of a Franciscan Friary, the only one left in the Lago di Venezia. Actually it's a private island and you can't get here except by private boat. So that was pretty cool. One thing I learned is that you can come here to spend I think three or four days, but you have to wake up at 6 each morning to pray, which didn't appeal to some of my friends (who wanted to maybe write their thesis here). Inside, one of the friars (there are six total on the island) showed us around and told us about the story of San Francesco, who visited this island during the plague. This was during the 13th century. Apparently the "mystery of the birds" happened here, that's when Francesco was praying and told the birds to be quiet so he could concentrate. And the story says that the birds became silent. The garden out in the back was really nice, but there was an overabundance of mosquitoes and we were getting tired too...

When I got back to San Servolo I didn't feel good so I just kind of sat around and did nothing on Saturday. Let me get on to Saturday night and the rest of the weekend later.

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment